Areas of Expertise
Chris works primarily with owners of small businesses and flow-through entities in a variety of operational consultations, tax planning, and tax compliance engagements. Chris’ main focus is business taxation for s-corporation and partnership entities, and complex individual returns.
Chris began his career in public accounting with the firm’s predecessor, Stivers & Associates, PSC, in January of 2006. Chris became a partner at Besten & Dieruf, PLLC in January of 2013. In addition to his tax practice, Chris has worked on numerous civil litigation cases involving fraud and forensic accounting, and has experience with audit and review engagements in the small business sector.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting; University of Kentucky
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Management; University of Kentucky
- Certified Public Accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Kentucky Society of Certified Public Accountants
- The Referrals Group: LEX8
- Rotaract of Lexington (Alumni & Former Treasurer)
- Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity (Alumni)
Significant Recent Professional Education
- AICPA National Tax Conference (Washington, DC) – November 2016
- Real Estate and Its Ever-Changing Tax Landscape
- Advanced Partnership Topics of the Day
- Issues and Opportunities Affecting S Corporations and Their Shareholders
- Retirement Plans for Small Business Entities
- Federal Income Tax Update
- Data Compromises: The Next Gold Rush
- AICPA National Tax Conference (Washington, DC) – November 2015
- The Affordable Care Act: Where Are We Now?
- Partnership Allocations & Disguised Sales
- Trust & Estate Elections and Terminations: Overlooked Planning Strategies
- S Corporation Practice Matters, Planning Opportunities, and What’s New
- Mining Opportunities in the Real Estate Tax Provisions
- Major Challenges Facing the IRS Today
- Real Life Identity Theft Experiences: Prevention & Repair
- Retirement Planning Update
- AICPA National Tax Conference (Washington, DC) – November 2014
- Retirement Options for Small Businesses
- Federal Income Tax Update
- Top Income Tax Challenges Facing the Real Estate Industry
- Net Investment Income Tax Update
- Fiduciary Income Tax Update
- Meeting the Out-of-State Income Tax Filing Responsibilities
- Partnership Update
- AICPA National Tax Conference (Washington, DC) – Annual Attendee 2010 – 2013
Civic and Community Involvement
Chris joined the Board of Ashland Terrace in 2016 where he continues to serve today. Ashland Terrace is a privately run foundation which operates an independent living facility for its retired residents and has been in continuous operation since 1849 and houses between 30-40 ladies at any given time.
Chris also is the Treasurer for the Chevy Chase Neighborhood Association, where he has served since 2015. The CCNA exists to work as a resource for its members and to provide protection and representation for one of Lexington’s oldest and most treasured neighborhoods.
Chris co-founded Rotaract of Lexington in January of 2008. Rotaract is an organization of young professionals and students that are committed to service, leadership and professional development. It is an affiliated entity of Rotary International and is sponsored locally by Rotary Club of Lexington. Chris served as the Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair from 2008-2012, and is today a proud alumnus. During his time as Treasurer, and later as an active member, we organized numerous fundraising events which yielded donations to various local and international non-profit charities.